Wisdom from a British mystery

 I was watching one of my British shows and a professor on one of them said this, and I had to stop and write it down because I feel like it is what is happening in our world right now and it is scary to me.

"Social media has made you a herd and reduced your individuality to a data point. You are the progressive census who have traded freedom of thought for a reassuring echo chamber. You have allowed yourself to be siloed into infinity groups, demographic groups where an algorithm can mine your data and produce content which fills with you with hate or fear or both, and you are content to live that way, believing you are in control of your lives.  When in fact you have handed them over to a close minded insularity"

I was reminded of this when I was reading Elder Cook's talk he said "Do not entertain immoral, dishonest, or unrighteous material.  If you do, algorithms can lead you down a path that destroys faith and impairs your eternal progression.  You can be acted upon positively or negatively.  Seek righteousness and avoid dark internet rabbit holes and doomscrolling.  Fill your life with positive, righteous ideas."

It is said that you can take someone's phone and pull up the search and it will automatically show you what they have shown they are interested in looking at.   The algorithm will know what they fill their time and minds with.  It can be either for good or for bad. 


Comments

Popular Posts