Seek Him
I read a couple quotes in my study this morning that I want to remember. One was from an unknown author "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give". I just thought that was a beautiful thought. I was reading the talk by Bishop Budge "Seek Him with All Your Heart" and one of the footnotes quoted Desmond Tutu on how his prayers are evolving. "I think I am trying to grow, in just being there. Like when you sit in front of a fire in winter--you are just there in front of the fire. You don't have to be smart or anything. The fire warms you." I just loved that image in relation to prayer. I can go to Him and just being with Him warms me, thaws me, helps me feel safe, comforts me, allows me to focus on the present moment, all of the things that a fire can do prayer with my Heavenly Father does and so much more. I love that I don't have to be anything brilliant or perfect or worthy even. I have worth just in being His daughter and He will listen and be so happy that I am taking time to commune with Him.
My house is back to normal after putting away Christmas yesterday and I miss it. I miss the warmth that the red, greens, and golds bring. I miss the extra warmth that the lights from the Christmas trees and candles bring. I miss the laughter of the kids being home. I know that if I left it up year round then it would lose its magic a bit, and I would just take it for granted. I really want to have this year be a focus on my holy habits and not take them for granted. I want to savor my scriptures, be intentional when I partake of the sacrament and focus on my Savior and his sacrifice and what that does for me each week, try and be present during the temple and not let my mind wander as it so often does, pray with the intention to be heard but also to hear. I find that I often rattle off all the things that I need help with or those I love need help with and forget to be still and listen to what He would have me know and do. I can sit in front of a fire and not be bored, I can just let the crackles and the warmth mesmerize me. One of the footnotes talked bout be reconciled to God which he said means to literally sit again with God. I can just sit or kneel with Him. I do not even need to speak, I can just be in his presence and be strengthened. I think that as I practice that and deepen my relationship with Him, that will become easier. I can sit in the car with Rick and we don't need to talk. I can just be ok being with him. I think it is because I have developed a relationship with him that we don't need words all of the time. I want to develop that with my Heavenly Father.


Comments