Bold and Not Ashamed

Blake is such a good little missionary.  He gives out Book of Mormons without us even knowing, but last week he asked me if I had an extra one.  I said sure who are you giving it to and he said just someone.  So apparently he gave one to his German teacher.  He went up to him after class and said he had a gift for him and that he really wanted him to read it.  He said that if he got a good feeling as he read it he would get him one in German.  Rick got a phone call the next morning from this teacher and we knew nothing about this at this point.  The teacher explained how much he likes Blake and he is one of his favorite kids, and he didn't want to hurt his feelings but he needed to give the book back for personal reasons.  I looked up his website after and he is involved in ministries so I am thinking Baptist.  He wanted us to explain to Blake before he gave it back and he didn't want this to damage their relationship.  We talked to Blake that night and he was disappointed but we told him that he did a good thing and that we are not in charge of the outcome.  He just planted a seed and as he continues to be an example (this is the class that he didn't watch the R rated movie) maybe this teacher eventually will look into the church.  I asked Blake why he wanted to give him one.  He said that this teacher's wife came on the field trip with them and he said they were a really nice couple and I thought they could really benefit from the gospel.  They have been talking about Mormons in History and so Blake has been getting a lot of questions from friends.  One young man wants to come over and hang out and ride the segway and Blake tells him he would make him a deal.  He could come over and hang out and then come to church with us on Sunday.  The kids said sure!  This Sunday is stake conference so I told Blake a regular Sunday would probably be better so that he could go to Young Men's as well so we will see.  I am so proud of him and how he really tries to stand up for his beliefs and that is not easy here in the Bible belt and being a 15 year old.  I hope that he will always be able to say that "he is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ".  Then this girl has taken to Blake and she was telling her parents about him and she mentioned that he was a Mormon.  The parents both said oh good, they are nice people.  I know that we need to be that light for others to follow more so now then ever before. 

Comments

bethouhumble said…
I wish I was this bold! I can talk all day about gospel topics and never get around to inviting anyone to learn more. Way to go Blake! Also glad he got his patriarchal blessing!! Can't wait for Tanner to follow in his footsteps!
Bozie said…
Awwww, what a gift of testimony he must have! I have never been that bold. When my friends asked questions, I gave minimal answers (for the most part). It's so hard to be bold and stand apart at any age but especially as a teenager. So proud of that boy of yours!

Popular Posts