Eternal Truths from the Perspective of a Bunny!

A lady from the other ward posted this and I really liked it and wanted to remember it. The pictures she had were amazing!

Never in the 9 years that we’ve lived here have we seen so many snakes. And never have we actually seen and killed a rattler. But we did this year. Yes, I did take pictures of them. Many, actually. I wanted to make sure the kids knew what a rattlesnake looked like so they would be more careful as they played outside. But the story here isn’t about that. Or maybe it is. You see, this is the story about mothers, and what mothers do to protect their young.

One afternoon I found Jim bounding into the house to grab his BB gun. He went out the front door prepared to take aim at a snake that was right next to our stairs. What I witnessed next will ever be burned into my memory. Following the aim of his gun with my eyes, I looked at the ground and saw not only the snake in striking position, but a young mother rabbit covering the entrance of her nest with her body. Her eyes gave away her feelings of fear, but even with a snake in front of her and Jim standing behind her, she wasn’t moving. Even as Jim began shooting, she never flinched. Not once. Almost as if she knew he was there to help her, she endured the loudness of the gun and the writhing of a snake that wasn’t giving up for anything. She wasn’t going to let anything get between her and her babies.

When the snake was dead and Jim moved it out of the way, only then did she move. She hopped over the where the snake had been laid and proceeded to lick up all the blood. Not only was she protecting from the immediate danger, but she was also protecting from future ones.

It was then that we realized that one of her babies had escaped from the nest and had been hiding under the oak tree the whole time. Somehow she had trained him to be silent until it was safe and now he was squeaking up a storm. We could tell that she was torn between her nest and this little one, so we helped her herd her young explorer back to the nest.

After being a mom for 20 years, you’d think that I knew everything there was about how to be one. But I don’t. She taught me that:

Training your little ones isn’t a waste of time. That training may one day save their lives.

Being a protective mom is not only natural, but essential.

Standing firm in the face of adversity is the right thing to do.

There’s always Someone who has your back. I’m never fighting alone.


Hopefully my faith will be strong enough to overcome fear when I am faced with spiritual dangers that surround me and my family!!!

Comments

Bozie said…
thanks for sharing this one girlie!! i think that is amazing that an animal can have a more protective instinct and maternal feelings than many women today! such a good lesson!!

Popular Posts