Marilyn
| Susan Trammell, me, Coleen, and Marilyn |
Rick got this letter from Elder Wilson, who spoke at conference a couple years ago. Marilyn is my 91-year-old sister I was assigned to minister to. She has been coming faithfully and brings her Come Follow M
Dear Bishop Daniels,
I am writing to thank you and the members of your ward for reaching out to my wife’s mother, Marilyn Liddell. The sisters in your ward have just been amazing in the way they have extended themselves to her. And she is loving it. My wife and I are in a state of disbelief at what is happening.
Here’s a bit of background. Marilyn was raised in an LDS home but rebelled and left the Church at age 17 when she went away to college at UC Berkeley. As a consequence, my wife grew up in a home where there was no religion and she joined the Church through the influence of her grandparents (Marilyn’s parents).
Marilyn has been hostile to the Church throughout much of her adult life although she began softening somewhat through the influence of her grandchildren who are all active members of the Church. She would come to Primary programs and missionary farewells. She once said to my wife, “I wish I could have faith like you do, but I just can’t.”
Every day she sends a quick emailed paragraph to her two daughters: my wife and her sister. Some months ago they noticed entries like, “My visiting teacher, the bishop’s wife, brought me some banana bread.” And “I am going out to lunch with an LDS ladies luncheon group.” The most shocking message they received was one that said, “The church is studying the New Testament this year. I’m interested in the New Testament. I think I’ll start going to church.” This was one of those messages my wife and sister-in-law never thought they’d receive in this life!
Now, however, she is going to Church and very much enjoying her association with sisters in the Ward. We can’t thank you enough for the kindness that has been shown to her. Marilyn is now 91 and takes care of her husband, Jack, who is 101 and quite frail. Marilyn is in remarkably good shape for someone her age.
My wife, Lynda, and I want you to know how grateful we are to you and the members of your ward who have included Marilyn in their circle. As she has grown older and been consumed with Jack’s care, I think her circle of friends has shrunk. The members of your ward are really making a difference in her life right now.
We are most grateful! I hope to meet you when we are visiting there later this year. Many thanks.
Larry Wilson


Comments