The boys met up at the church at 7:45 on Saturday morning, to travel to a little town that had been hit by the floods.  We had 175 people from our stake go and they worked on eleven homes.  The boys said it was really sad to see what had happened to the homes.  All of their personal belongings were taken outside and then taken to the dump because they were so destroyed.  The smell was bad and dead fish were in the houses as they were trapped after the water carried them in.  They did have a good time though and felt good about helping others.  The home owners were not members and they worked along side the groups.  I stayed behind because I had committed to helping a new family unpack.  The parents had three kids with two grown and one about to leave for college, when they were asked to take three small children of a nephew.  He and the mother of the kids were heavily involved in drugs.  They have had the children for a year now and are in the process of adopting them.  They are 2, 3, and 6.  This couple joined the church four years ago and joined through their youngest son.  He was always interested in God and had lots of questions.  He went to a few churches and although they were fun and catered to youth, he just didn't feel his questions were answered.  He had a couple friends at school who talked about religion at school and seemed to know a lot and so he asked what church they attended.  He started going with them to church.  They found out that three of their neighbors were LDS and so the mom asked the neighbor about the church.  She sent the missionaries over and the mom and son took the discussions.  The father traveled a lot so he wasn't in on the initial discussions.  The mom and the son whose name is Bishop, were baptized and the father was baptized four months later.  When I was helping to unbox, Bishop came home from a church camping trip.  He was a very sweet boy and he warmed himself up some pizza and and I happened to look over at the table and he had his head bowed and saying a prayer over his food.  I was so impressed with this young man.  I asked him about his plans and he is attending BYU Idaho for a semester and then he will go on his mission.  I just think that youth today are amazing and for sure very strong and valiant spirits were saved for this time.  This kid listened to his spirit and continued searching for the truth and when he heard it he recognized it. Now his family and these three new little children have the gospel. 

Comments

Be Thou Humble said…
I can't imagine going through such a loss! So glad your boys were able to help.

Popular Posts