Writing Class Assignment. Love letter to an object.
The Love Letter
To
my beloved dishwasher,
Twenty years ago, I lived in a
dilapidated old farmhouse in St. Albans, Maine.
This house had many charms including smoky fireplaces, drafty walls, and
bats that flew overhead. One of the
charms it lacked, however, was you, dear dishwasher. Before I met you, my hands were blistered and
red from scouring pots and pans in scalding water. Not having you in my life resulted in many a sibling
skirmish. Nobody wanted red, blistered hands, so we fought over whose turn it was to wash or
dry the mound of dishes generated by a family of eight.
When I graduated high school, I moved
into my first apartment. I remember the
first day we met vividly. I was touring
my new living situation and made my way into the kitchen. I beheld your charm and beauty and knew
instantly that my life would never be the same again. There you were shiny white and teeming with
potential. I had to try you out. I lovingly placed my dirty plate that had once
held my baked potato onto your welcoming rack.
I waited with hopeful anticipation that when I opened your door all
would be sparkling clean and germ-free. You
did not disappoint me. I was immediately hooked as I stared at that flawless,
sanitized plate.
Was this all too good to be true? Would you stand by me through caked on
lasagna pans left overnight? What if I
did not do what the manufacturer recommended to keep our love alive? I knew that I should soak my lasagna pans before
I burden you with them, but I needed to test your undying devotion to me
through unrinsed, caked on pans. You passed this test with your presoak cycle
and powerful jets of water.
One dark day my love for you was tested. I pulled out my customarily sparkling glasses
and found them covered in spots. Initially
I accused you of carelessness, but realized quickly that I had failed you. I had neglected to refill the spot free rinse
liquid. You never held a grudge and
continued your undying dedication to my dishware and me.
It has now been over 20 years since I
first met you. Since meeting you, I have
had several dishwashers. My latest model
is shiny silver and has all the bells and whistles. I must admit that I find him very attractive
and necessary to my happiness. However, none
of my subsequent dishwashers filled me with the same exhilaration as you did
that first day. It was you that introduced me to the magical world where scalded,
blistered hands were only a memory. You
revealed to me how easy it could be to make dirty, disgusting tableware clean
and sterile. You always remember your
first love.
With
love and appreciation,
Elena


Comments