Mother's Day 2014



What a lovely weakend.  Caden woke up with a start this morning and remembered thankfully that he had to give a talk today!  He didn't mention it to us so I had no idea.  He had a few hours and so he ended up doing a wonderful job.  It was on preparing for a mission and he focused on making our homes an MTC and that the same preparation that prepares us for a mission prepares us for the temple.  He always delivers his talk so professional and several women commented to me on how composed and adult he seems.  He sure is a cute guy!  We all looked forward to seeing Morgan!  She was able to call me quickly on Saturday to tell me what time to call her on Sunday.  We were able to talk to her for 40 minutes.  She is getting a new mission president in a couple weeks and her visa did not come in time for the transfer.  She will be in South Carolina for at least another six weeks.  She said she was bummed for a bit but read a conference talk and went back to work!  She was happy and full of the missionary spirit.  She loves being a missionary and you can just see it her face as she talks about it.  Our two elders came here to talk to their parents.  They have to be able to see each other always so we had one on the office computer and one in the sitting room adjacent.  They were able to talk to their families for an hour and since they couldn't Skype at christmas this was the first time Elder Shorts had seen his family for ten months.  They both seemed a little quiet when they were finished and I think it always makes them miss home for a bit.  It sure is such a blessing to be a mom and especially a mom of a missionary.  I cannot describe the joy I feel as I get her letters and see the growth in her testimony.  She was asked to bear her testimony about the Book of Mormon today in Relief Society and I am sure she did an  amazing job.  She is such an example to me. Morgan sent me a handwritten card for Mother's day and of course I read it and am taken back by all of the kind and wonderful things that she says about my mothering skills.  Mothering is by far the hardest thing that I have ever done and it is a challenge and I often have to turn to my Heavenly Father for help.  He sends help is such a myriad of ways but I remember one time I was trying to teach Morgan the importance of not studying on Sunday.  She just could not do it.  She had this determination to always get the highest possible score and thought that she needed Sunday to make sure this happened when the test was on Monday.  I would talk and talk to her about it and tell her to try it and prove the Lord.  She would be blessed for her obedience.  Nothing seemed to work.  I remember making this a matter of prayer that her heart would be softened or that I would be led to know what to say.  Soon we attended stake conference and the visiting authority came and met us and shook Morgan's had and told her she was a beautiful young lady.  Of course after that you will listen to his words.  He recounted how he was a convert and never really had a testimony of the Sabbath day.  He was in a demanding school program and always studied on Sunday.  This bothered his wife and she told him that she wanted him to try and give up studying on Sunday.  He did not know how it was going to work.  He was a father, worked full time, and was in this demanding school.  He was determined to try and he was amazed at the miracles that happened and the time seemed to be there.  Morgan was touched by the spirit and that message when into her heart.  She made the decision right there that she would not study on Sunday.  She still did extremely well in school and her goals were still accomplished.  I am so grateful that I have a partner that is all knowing and all loving.  He will help me as I strive to help his children return to him.  That is a comfort to me on hard days where I feel worried or concerned for a particular child.  I am not alone ever.   Lexi returning home has just been such a reminder of eternal families.  I am happiest when all my kids are around me and today for a brief moment they all were and all was right with the world!

Comments

Popular Posts