For FHE tonight, I asked the kids to find something in the scriptures or from a prophet or apostle that they thought would help them as they start a new year.  Motivational or a theme for themselves.  It was interesting to see what they came up with.  We started out singing How Firm a Foundation and then I shared Helaman 5:12.  We talked about how if you maintain that strong foundation in Christ no matter what comes your way, you are solid.   Caden's surprised me, He chose Enos 1:9 'I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.  Caden said he wanted to concentrate on others and pray for them with his whole soul.  We had a good discussion about how when you are truly converted your thoughts and energy turns to others.  Lexi shared her love for the story of the stripling warriors and how prepared and strong they were in the faith.  Her scripture was D & C 6: 33,34,36 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward, Therefore fear to little flock do good let earth and hell combine agains you for if ye are built upon my rock they cannot prevail, Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not.  It was interesting that she picked one that was very similar to the one in Helaman.  I love how Lexi knows that to be a true principal.  She strives to be good, sweet and kind and sometimes you don't always reap the reward here on earth for having those qualities, but she knows she is doing a great work and that she need to stay prepared at all times!  Morgan shared a Thomas Monson quote that  I will have to get from her, but her scripture was Romans 8:35-39 Talks about  the love of Christ and nothing can separate us from that.  Morgan has always loved the New Testament and especially Paul so it didn't surprise me that hers would come from him.  Blake was at tutoring when I assigned the other kids theirs and then we came home and started so he didn't have as much time to think about it but he read for us a bit from the testimony of Joseph Smith and he ended with how this was an ancient record from the earth as from the dust and it was given to us by the power of God.  He said he wants to read the Book of Mormon more this year.   As Blake was reading Joseph Smiths account of what happened, the spirit filled me and I looked at my son as he was reading this and felt that Blake was going to be a force for good.  I sometimes need these affirmations with him and although I know he has a tender and compassionate side that I have been witness to, he also is the one I worry about the most.  This experience was another tender mercy from my Heavenly Father.

Comments

Be Thou Humble said…
Love it! Going to steal it for next week!!!

Popular Posts