Why do I try and be Jonah (it never works)

Ok so everyone that knows me, knows that I absolutely abhor giving talks.   I actually get physically ill when I am assigned a talk, (I should have a doctors' note excusing me from giving one for health reasons, I know a guy who could write me one!)  Anyway, I have purposely been keeping the move quiet with the intent of sneaking out and we have had five families move or are moving soon so I felt that I was safe.  Last Sunday, RS pres announced it in class that next week would be our last week.  After the lesson some people came up and said they had no idea we were moving.  I told them that I was keeping it quiet to avoid the exit talk and since we only had one more Sunday and hadn't been asked, I felt confident that my plans of not making eye contact with Bishopric, avoiding them at all costs, etc had worked.  Alas, Rick came home from an Eagle Scout review holding a little white piece of paper!  I said "oh no he didn't, and he said"oh yes he did!"  So that night of course I couldn't sleep because I hurried and pulled off the talk from the website he wanted as a guide and then thought about it all night, and of course the next day I had an ulcer!!!  I had to take a bunch of meds to get it from hurting so bad!!  Where was that note when I needed it.  Moral of the story is:  God knows  me.  He knew exactly what I was trying to do and so didn't let me.  If I hadn't been trying to avoid the talk, then one of the other lucky five families might have had the opportunity!  I seem to have to relearn this lesson A LOT!  So in the middle of moving this weekend and all the chaos that brings, I am planning a talk!

Comments

Bozie said…
oh man-i feel your pain!! couldn't help but laugh a bit though. Heavenly Father definitely knows what we're up to doesn't He?! i have known people who actually do say they physically cannot give a talk. it is tempting isn't it?? i'm sure you did just fine-you always have great ideas!
Be Thou Humble said…
HA! HA! HA! I do feel for you because I know how crazy and busy you are right now but I do think it is quite funny....like running away from RS President!!! Always catches up with you!!! Wish I could be there to help you AND to hear your talk! There is spirit, sister!
Chrissy said…
That was an amazing talk! My mom and I talked about how multi-talented Morgan is. She is just graceful and sweet- and seems to pull off everything pretty near perfectly!
That was so fun to see y'all! Ginger is a sweetheart for hosting lunch afterwards- and such good food too!
(btw- how neat that the other speaker was also LDS)
Anyway- nice blogging Elena- I need to get mine going again!! :)

Popular Posts