So close!













Father's Day Weekend.  Spent a good deal of time in the porch swing.  The boys have decided they really like it and we all just sit and visit in it.  Rick has been looking at a new sewing machine for a few months so we ended up getting that for him for Father's Day.  He loves German chocolate cake and so I thought I would give it a go.  I usually have trouble getting the cake to come out of the pan, but I sprayed it and then lined the bottom with parchment paper and they came out of the pan perfectly.  Feeling pretty good about myself, I confidently started to apply the icing.  The dang icing would not stick to the sides and kept falling off in chunks.  It looked so pitiful that I thought I could pipe some chocolate icing around the top and bottom to kind of dress it up a bit.  It did make it look better and so I took the above pictures.  I went off to get ready for church and came out and my cute little choc stars were sliding down the sides here and there.  I said to myself, Rick can make a mascot head, a bed from scratch, a porch swing from scratch and I can't even manage a cake from a box!  Anyway, he assures me that it tasted good.  My dinner for him of salmon, potatoes, corn on the cob and mushroom gravy turned out great so not a total fail!  I took a mirror selfie all ready for church and I usually am never looking in the right spot, but I actually got one today.  I am growing up!  We went to a guy's 50th bday pool party Saturday night and while we were there Hobby Lobby called and said my picture was done.  I was so excited and so we left the party a little early to run over and get it.  I love it.  I have been working on getting this painting for several months!  Morgan sent some pics of her weekend in Prague.  They were on a river cruise which she said was amazing.   I wanted to get a picture of the boys and Rick dressed in their church clothes, but by the time Rick got home the boys were in PJ's and then after we ate, I totally forgot and now Rick is taking a nap.  I am grateful for him in our lives.  He is kind, gentle, loving, and so talented.  I was looking back through pictures on my computer and saw so many trips he has taken the kids on through the years often with just him and the kids.  He would take them camping, to the mountains, to the beach, road trips to see sites.  He is a great example of someone who works hard and never complains.  He puts in long hours at work and spends a lot of time in church service, but I have never heard him once complain about it.  We both had great examples in our own fathers and that has truly impacted our lives.  I know that Rick has impacted his children's lives for the better and hopefully they will follow his example.                   





Comments

bethouhumble said…
First of all...who is the boy with Morgan? Second...you look disgustingly amazing! I am faiking miserably in this department. Third, sorry cake didn't go as planned but it still looks yummy and dinner sounded wonderful. I'm so glad you are enjoying your swing. We are heading for a heat advisory so outdoors is not the best place to be at the moment but I love swings! Rick is amazing and so talented. I can't wait to see what he whips out with a new sewing machine at his disposal!
Daniels Six said…
He is one of her buddies that she hangs out with in Vienna. His name is Joey and is a dancer at BYU. He is a fun kid but just a friend!
CarolAnne said…
One of Jim’s favorite pictures we have is “The Road to Emmaus.” And, his favorite cake is German Chocolate! Seems he and Rick could be uncle and nephew!

Popular Posts