Standing Up

Blake is taking German this year and he is also in the German club that meets after school.  Last week, he called me and told me he needed me to pick him up early.  When I got there, he said the teacher was showing a German movie that was Rated R.  Blake told him that he couldn't watch it.  The teacher said he was going to fast forward the sex scenes!  Blake told him again that he couldn't stay.  They asked him, "Your mom won't let you?" and Blake responded no this is my choice and I have chosen not to watch these types of movies.  The teacher than had Blake call me to come get him.  I am so proud of him.  What 15 year old boy wants to stand out for being a "goody goody" but I also love that Blake learned how to take ownership of his own choices.  We went to a standards night a year ago and President Parker told them that if you say My parents won't let me or my religion doesn't let me, then they will try and talk you into and you won't have as much power, but if you make the choice yourself and you say I choose not to, there is power in that.  I was thankful that Blake was there to hear that talk and took it to heart.    Blake met with the Bishop during conference and Bishop counseled him to get his patriarchal blessing soon.  Both boys were thinking about it because their Sunday School teacher is the partriarch and they talk a bit about it in class.  Blake will be getting his the 2nd Sunday in November.  I sure hope it brings him comfort and I hope that the questions that I have regarding him will somehow be answered. 

Comments

Bozie said…
What a good kid! Most kids would not dare to stand up to a teacher like that and definitely don't want to stand out with their peers making fun of them. I am going to go over this with my boys about how they need to choose for themselves and not put it off on parents or their religion. I love that. I'm so glad Blake is getting his Patriarchal Blessing soon. It sure brought Brad some peace and confidence. I hope it will for Blake and you too!

Popular Posts