 |
| Our first day we were going from the airport to the peninsula Samana where we would be staying. The road had a toll and they only accepted dominican money. The little lady came out of the booth yelling "reversa" and made everyone behind us back up to let us out. So embarrassing. She then told us that back a bit he could change his American dollars for Domincian in this bus. As he walked in i thought it looked a bit shady so I took a picture just in case he didn't come out. Thankfully he did!11 |
 |
| On our drive we could see coconut trees that had been harvested and new ones growing up at the roots. It was pretty awesome looking. We also saw beautiful rice fields on the drive. |
 |
| An example of the insane driving! |
 |
| So this is during the day but our first day we had to go through all these little towns like this in the dark to get to our apartment. You couldn't see and the people come out at night for their social time because it is cool. They just stand in the road and walk in the road and mopeds going all around you and a million stray dogs. It was so scary and I thought we were either going to crash or run over someone. It was the longest hour of my life! |

 |
|

The scariest part of the trip would have to be the driving hands down. There doesn't seem to be any rules and the picture above where all the cars are converging made me claustrophobic. This was on Sunday and we had left our apartment in Samana and were gong to spend the night in Santo Domingo and see the sites before catching our plane on Monday. I was totally starting to panic as we were trying to find our hotel and all of a sudden the temple came before my eyes. I cannot tell you how seeing that building calmed my fears and the security guard opened the gate and let us go in and take pictures. Right after that we found our hotel right close to the temple. It was a Marriott so of course there were Book of Mormons in our rooms. I was so grateful for that tender mercy!
Our first night Rick wasn't sure where our apartment was so he pulled over in the town of Samana. It was dark and tons of people partying in the streets with music blaring. It was so crazy. He pulls off to the side of the road and runs into this little run down ice cream shop. He is gone for a long time and I began to panic thinking what is my game plan if something just happened to him. I can't speak the language, I have no idea where I am, cell phones didn't work, I have my four children in the back. I went to a very bad place very fast but thankfully before I needed a paper bag, Rick came bounding back. He apparently needed to use the restroom and it was quite a process. Needless to say it involved a bucket and water. We finally pulled into our apartment where an armed guard was at the gate and let us in. A little disconcerting to see armed guards and then once we were inside there were more just walking around policing the place!!
Comments