A Christmas to Remember!
For this Christmas we wanted to do a family vacation that had some meaning since it might be our last
one as a complete family for a while. We thought it would be so neat to have the kids go to the dominican where Rick served his mission. I really wanted them to see how blessed we are by living in this country! It started out a little rocky but such great lessons to learn as we began our journey. We started out Christmas Day to catch our flight but when we reached Dallas (3 hour drive) we were told that our flight had just been cancelled due to a storm reaching from Maine to Texas. We then had to stand in a long line with other cancelled flight customers to see what would be our options. It was finally our turn and they told us our only option was to come back the next day and fly out an 9 pm and go to nashville and fly out at 6 am the following morning into Miami and then be in the Dominican at noon on Thursday. There was a guy in the next line and he was making quite a scene in front of his children and wife and yelling at the poor guy who had to work and be away from his family on Christmas so we could fly out in the first place. I was so glad my kids were able to see Rick handle the situation with kindness and patience. Our flight at 9 didn't actually leave until 11:30 pm and so time we got into Nashville we ended up just having four hours so the kids just slept on benches. Rick and I stayed up. I love the picture of little Caden saying his personal prayer right there in the starbucks lobby. He is such an example to me and did so much better than I did on this trip of reading the scriptures and praying. Of course I was praying non stop that we would be protected and make it back in one piece!! The picture of me is one someone took after we finally got to our apartment and I am so exhausted I crashed where I sat! One of the kids mentioned that it was fitting that on Christmas when there wasn't any room for the Savior, we experienced on a very small scale that we had no room and no comfortable place to sleep on Christmas but as always you have a choice in how you will handle situations and my kids were awesome. They never complained, they were just so grateful to Rick that he works so hard so that they were able to experience this vacation.
one as a complete family for a while. We thought it would be so neat to have the kids go to the dominican where Rick served his mission. I really wanted them to see how blessed we are by living in this country! It started out a little rocky but such great lessons to learn as we began our journey. We started out Christmas Day to catch our flight but when we reached Dallas (3 hour drive) we were told that our flight had just been cancelled due to a storm reaching from Maine to Texas. We then had to stand in a long line with other cancelled flight customers to see what would be our options. It was finally our turn and they told us our only option was to come back the next day and fly out an 9 pm and go to nashville and fly out at 6 am the following morning into Miami and then be in the Dominican at noon on Thursday. There was a guy in the next line and he was making quite a scene in front of his children and wife and yelling at the poor guy who had to work and be away from his family on Christmas so we could fly out in the first place. I was so glad my kids were able to see Rick handle the situation with kindness and patience. Our flight at 9 didn't actually leave until 11:30 pm and so time we got into Nashville we ended up just having four hours so the kids just slept on benches. Rick and I stayed up. I love the picture of little Caden saying his personal prayer right there in the starbucks lobby. He is such an example to me and did so much better than I did on this trip of reading the scriptures and praying. Of course I was praying non stop that we would be protected and make it back in one piece!! The picture of me is one someone took after we finally got to our apartment and I am so exhausted I crashed where I sat! One of the kids mentioned that it was fitting that on Christmas when there wasn't any room for the Savior, we experienced on a very small scale that we had no room and no comfortable place to sleep on Christmas but as always you have a choice in how you will handle situations and my kids were awesome. They never complained, they were just so grateful to Rick that he works so hard so that they were able to experience this vacation.



Comments