But For the Grace of God...


We had stake conference this weekend and it was amazing.  We had a new stake presidency called last conference so this was their first one to be in charge and give talks.  Our new stake president  talked about comforting those that stand in need of comfort and mourning with those that mourn.  He said that there were a few things to know about him, 1) he loves sandwiches (but only with meat cheese and lettuce) 2) he reads the paper everyday 3) he makes lists and has to check them off or he cannot function.  So 19 years ago their newborn was diagnosed with cancer. (he ends up dying)n While they were in the hospital with this baby a member of the ward brought Subway sandwiches to him and his wife.  She had everything on them, all the vegetables, he said even though that sandwich was 80% things he didn't like, he never tasted anything sweeter and can still remember the feeling that he had when he bit into that sandwich. 2) a member of the stake came by with a bag of change and told him that she noticed a newspaper stand and thought that he might like to read the paper while they were waiting. 3) he had to go get a car from Arizona because they had left it behind in the move and it leaked oil. (on his list to do but didn't get done)  He was so worried about driving it since he had not changed the oil and really needed to get back to his wife quickly.  When his friend picked him up at the airport, he said I took it in for an oil change this morning since it had been sitting for awhile.  He said how did these people know what he needed, they didn't but God did.  He said it often doesn't take much, a sandwich, a bag of coins, an oil change but it is life changing for who you do it for because it lets them be reminded that God is aware of them.  (yesterday was the 19 year anniversary of their son's death and he said a sister from that ward texts him and his wife every year on this date to tell them she is thinking of them.  Every year!)

Rick had just that morning  recounted to me about a man who had come into the ER a couple times before but had dealt with the other doctors who do not speak Spanish.  He was from Brazil but had lived in Venezuela and his family and child were in Venezuela.  He was working as a dishwasher to send every penny he could home for his son's medicine.  He got a bad burn on his arm at work and they had dressed it and told him to go to the burn center for treatment.  They also said on his discharge papers that he could still work.  He did not understand what they were saying and so he had not gone to work or the burn center.  He came in to Rick and his wound was not dressed our treated.  The nurse was frustrated because he had not followed the instructions.  Rick went and talked to him and found out his story.  He was in tears because he did not know how he was going to get the money to send home and he did not have the money to buy dressings to take care of the wound.  Rick explained that he could still work, but he really needed to go to the burn center and it should be covered by workers comp since it happened at work.  I think because he is here illegally his work was taking advantage.  Rick dressed his wound again and then gathered a bunch of supplies for him to redress it when needed.  He then gave him the cash he had in his wallet.  I just started crying because my heart breaks for people.  I immediately thought of the talk by Elder Holland Are we not all beggars?  He said in there "I have had to worry about finances on occasion, but I have never been poor, nor do I even know how the poor feel.  Furthermore, I do not know all the reasons why the cirmcumstances of birth, health, education, and economic opportunities vary so widely here in mortality, but when I see the want among so many, I do know that "there but for the grace of God, go I.  I also know that although I may not be my brother's keeper, I am my brother's brother and 'because I have been given much, I too must give."  

This man has been on my mind since, and I just look around at my life  and feel so blessed but also that I have taken so much for granted.  I need to be better at praying to have eyes to see those that could use a sandwich, a bag of coins or an oil change and to never miss an opportunity to let someone know that God is aware of them.  


Comments

bethouhumble said…
Made me cry! We are so very blessed and people are in need all around us! In my area it's more emotional needs!

Popular Posts