1st letter from Caden! (didn't get to talk to him)





Hi family! Thank you all for your letters! So much has happened this first week I can't even remember it all, so I'll just hit the highlights. My companion is named Elder Bott and he's a pretty nice guy. Hes very obsessed with the schedule and gets very frustrated when I am my Pokey puppy self, but other than that he's pretty cool. For the first few days he would tell me how stressed he is, and I would just listen. This is a good system because he enjoys talking about his feelings, and I keep mine to myself, so it balances out. I like to joke with him and get him to relax a little, but he doesn't always appreciate it. My first night here I was called to be a district leader which was pretty cool. I pretty much pick up peoples mail and assign prayers and stuff. I had my district sing secreta oracion one day, and Dad was right, its extremely powerful. The MTC is really cool, it is like this patch of green grass and palm trees right in the center of the ghetto Mexico city streets. There is a fence surrounding the MTC, almost like a temple, I feel like I'm in an embassy or something. We hear police or ambulance sirens every night, and occasionally fireworks and/or gunshots, I can't always tell. Just thought I would try to scare mom, haha. The food is good, they even have cereal here. We have had to teach in Spanish a few times which seemed daunting at first, but it isn't so bad. My spanish teacher said I was doing good, so that made me walk a little taller. Thanks mom for the packages, I was only bullied a little bit for having them. I'm just kidding everyone here is nice. We had this devotional with a guy, and he was talking about various parts of the brain and the parasympathetic autonomic nervous system or something. I wanted to shout out I KNEW IT! After he revealed himself to be the psychologist for the mtc. He had us do this breathing exercise where we close our eyes and pretend to be an inflatable mattress or something. He called it a form of meditation, but I thought it seemed awfully close to hypnosis so I refused to close my eyes or listen to his instructions. I wasn't about to have my head messed with. The guys in my district noticed this and now I have a reputation for being paranoid. I enjoyed the story you sent me Dad, about the violinist. I definitely feel like there is a temptation here in the mtc to be caught up in the grand scheme and not appreciate the small joys around us. My companion keeps talking about how 24 months doesnt seem that long, and how we will by down to almost 22 months once we are out of the mtc. I want to tell him to stop counting the days and thinking about the end, but I figured I would let him do his own thing. He likes to exercise to relieve stress in the mornings, so I try to go along with him on that. One time I asked if we could play ping pong because that's a lot more fun that lifting weights, but he said no to that. Oh well, there's always pull ups. Yesterday we watched the film Joseph Smith: the Prophet of the Restoration, and that is a powerful flick. My favorite part was when Joseph set out to ride to Carthage, and everyone in his settlement stopped what they were doing to watch him leave, almost as if they knew it would be the last time they would see their beloved friend. A piano version of praise to the man played in the background which pretty much brought everyone in the auditorium to tears. Alright thats all I got this week, I couldn't face time this week because all of the computers that have cameras are being used by other missionaries, but if you guys ever want me to skype you just tell me and I'll try to make it happen. I love you all.
1. Mi Casa
2. Mi companero y yo 
3. Mi Distrito 
4. CCM
5. beyond the wall 


Comments

bethouhumble said…
I loved this letter!!! Makes me laugh every time I read it!

Popular Posts