My heart was gladdened!

Busy week with school, calling and mom stuff.  I had a paper due and of course I procrastinated and then whenever I would gather my papers to work on it the phone would ring and someone would need me.  Monday we had a car accident and a mother of four children was killed.  The two year old was in the car and is in the ICU with a brain injury.  One of my less active sisters that I have tried to fellowship called me to see if the ladies from church would mind going and siting with this little guy because the grandma was trying to juggle the three girls as well.  I sent out an email and had responses right away of sisters who would give of their time to help a total stranger.  Two sisters are sisters that we never see at church but are always the first to volunteer to serve.  This grandma was so grateful and overwhelmed that we would do this for them until she learned that we were from the "Mormon church"  She had assumed that this sister was Baptist because she had seen her volunteer there.  This sister has only started coming back to church and so this is the first time that she has ever experienced this type of rejection because of her religion.  She has known the family for five years and they thought she was a great influence on their daughter that was killed.  She was a partier  and the four children all have different dads who are not really in the picture.  This did not stop us from wanting to help.  We did not judge her daughter or think that because of her lifestyle we would not extend ourselves.  But we were not welcome because of our faith.  I had to comfort Joelda and tell her how to respond because she was very angry that the grandma would rather the little two year old be alone than accept our help.  I just told her to tell her that we would continue to pray for him and that we are here if she does need us.  My heart was sad as I thought about this and then I got ready to go to the Women's Conference.  As I sat in a room full of precious primary children who stood and sang Teach Me To Walk, I started to cry.  I was filled with gratitude for my blessings that have come from my membership in this church.  Every moment of my life is influenced by it's teachings and striving to become more like my Savior.  As we continue to be a light and to hold up His light, then we can change these negative reactions to us.  By our fruits we shall be known.  I left the meeting renewed in my soul and felt my Heavenly Father's love for all of his children.  He knows the intents of our hearts and even though we cannot go and be with this little child of His, He will hear our prayers in his behalf.

Comments

Be Thou Humble said…
That is so very sad. I'm amazed at how prejudice against our faith continues. I'm so sad for that little boy and for those children who could use the help and comfort of good people who care. So very sad.

Popular Posts