Sunday Message
Our stake president gave us a devotional last Sunday and then he asked that each bishop do one for their ward this Sunday. The bishops did this and Rick worked on his for several days and then Sydney Decker came over and filmed him and then she added the scriptures and the message from Elder Faust. It turned out really good and Rick was all set to post it Saturday night. Then they got an email from the stake president that the area authority said it was not authorized. This seems very weird to me that bishop cannot sent out a message to his own ward. Anyway Rick did not post the video but he did sent out his message via email to the members to read at their leisure. The pictures and music that she included were so good and I am sad that the members cannot see it. Our music leader did send out a video for the primary children so that they could participate in sharing time if they would like.
Dear Serenada Ward Members
I pray that you are all doing well as you hunker down at home during these historic times. I hope you were able to listen to President Williams give us counsel last week during his devotional. He reminded us that we need to continue to serve our fellow man and keep the Sabbath day holy.
I
wanted to make some recommendations about the sabbath to you. The
Sabbath is an opportunity for you to commune with Heavenly Father, bless
the lives of friends and family.
These
are new and unfamiliar times for us. Not being able to socialize and
strengthen each other at church is going to be tough. But it also
represents an opportunity for spiritual growth.
I
recommend that families continue their Sabbath worship together. Put
together a Sunday church service in your home. For those who have a
priesthood holder in the home - you may provide the sacrament to your
families as part of your service. Please do so in a reverent and formal
manner as befits the performance of a holy ordinance including dressing
appropriately. Deacons may pass the sacrament in homes and teachers may
prepare and pass the sacrament.
For
familes with children and youth at home - get them involved in the
family service! Assign them a talk or a prayer, or a musical
number. Sing a hymn as part of your program. I believe these home
services will become cherished memories for your youth
On
the Sabbath make a goal to do a good turn. This could be something you
do at home or for a neighbor. Remember the example of our Savior who
went about doing good on the Sabbath.
For
those of you who do not have a priesthood holder in your home, we would
like to make the sacrament available to you at least once a
month. Please let your ministering brother know when you would like the
sacrament. Families with priesthood holders could also invite another
family or individual over for the home church service. Make sure you
do not visit or be visited if you feel sick at all. And follow current
social distancing guidelines with frequent handwashing and adequate
space between participants
For the Youth of the ward -
The Lord has told us that “men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause,
and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much
righteousness; “For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto
themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.” (D&C 58:27–28.)
On the other hand one translation of Proverbs 16:27 says Idle hands are the devil’s workshop
This might be one of the few times in your life when you have so much free time
Look at your goals with the churches Children and Youth Program and see if you need to add some short term goals now that you have some time
We
are living through a difficult time. Anxiety, fear, stress and worry
abound. Our Country and the world is facing the biggest challenge since
WW2. When we get through this the world will have a new normal. Many
conditions and social habits will probably change permanently.
We have been through challenges before as both a church and a country
Early
saints were persecuted and finally expelled in the dead of winter.
Saints faced challenges with world wars including rationing and massive
loss of life
We dont know what challenges we will be asked to endure
“the
determined elders would not give up. So they prayed again, with the
quiet assurance that the Lord would hear and answer their prayers.
They
were impressed to do something rather unusual for that day and time.
One of them placed his mouth over Brother Snow’s in an effort to inflate
his lungs, alternately blowing in and drawing out air, imitating the
natural process of breathing. Taking turns, they persevered until they
succeeded in inflating his lungs. A little while later they perceived
faint indications of returning life. “A slight wink of the eye, which,
until then, had been open and death-like, and a very faint rattle in the
throat, were the first symptoms of returning vitality. These grew more
and more distinct, until consciousness was fully restored.”
Lesson to learn - You cant anticipate every trial and when they come you have to keep on trying, persevere!
Trials are a time when the Lord manifests his hand - sometimes the hand is us
Look for the Lords hand in your life.
Nephi
used a term that many members are familiar with as he recounted his
life while writing the first chapter of the Book of Mormon
he said -
I,
Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over
all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them
mighty even unto the power of deliverance”
When
I was 16 years old I went deer hunting with my dad and my 10-year-old
brother. We were in central Utah. We had two four wheeler's, a
smaller one that I drove and a larger one that carried my dad and my
younger brother. We took the ATVs from our campsite and drove them a few
miles up the canyon. There were jeep trails and dirt roads
crisscrossing the area. My dad found a suitable location where we could
look across the large open area and wait for some deer to come.
However, we realized that I forgot some supplies. My dad asked me if I
would return to our camp. So I took off down the canyon and went back
to the camp on the four wheeler. I got the supplies, but As I was
returning up the canyon, I must've taken a wrong turn, because soon
everything looked unfamiliar. I drove back down the canyon and realized
there were several options-trails in many directions. I drove up a few
of these trails hoping I would see something familiar. After about 90
minutes of searching I started to get a little panicky. I was down to
about a quarter tank of gas and I was still mostly lost. I turned off
the ATV and prayed. I felt a calm reassurance and got the impression
that I should return to the main camp. I was a little bit turned around,
as i headed down the canyon I felt impressed to stay on the most well
used trail. It was evening now and the path looked different, but I soon
arrived at the camp. Soon after my arrival, my dad and brother drove
up wondering where I had been all day
This was a tender mercy - a time when I can look back and see the Lords hand in my life
We are not always blessed to recognize his hand from the get-go
2 Kings 6 - King of Syria sent forth his Army to capture or kill Elisha
15 And
when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth,
behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And
his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
17 And
Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may
see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and,
behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
Sailors in years past traveled the ocean in wooden ships driven by the wind. This was a dangerous profession.
Boats
required hundreds of feet of rope to stabilize the masts, raise and
lower sails, and to help turn the ship. Men were assigned, each man a
specific rope or line - especially when the weather was fierce.
Sailors
were a superstitious bunch. They would adopt traditions that they felt
would bring them luck to survive. One such tradition was to tattoo the
words hold fast across the knuckles of both hands.
Holding
fast was the way to get through a difficult storm. Every man would take
care of his line to keep the ships course straight and true and
oriented in such a way that the ship would not be cast over by the huge
waves. Every sailor relied on the other to do his work
We
have a similar tradition in the church. This comes from Lehi’s dream in
the book of Mormon. The Iron Rod led to the tree of life and
salvation. The Iron rod represents the Word of God, or in a greater
sense the Gospel of Jesus Christ. During the storms of life - like
right now - we can hold fast to Jesus Christ and the principles of his gospel
Have faith - We have been through tough times before
Pray and press forward
See the Lords Hand - recognize the tender mercies
Be the Lords hands by being anxiously engaged
And Hold Fast to Jesus Christ and his gospel
I love you all
Bishop Daniels



Comments