Peace in Christ
Tuesday I went to the hospital for my 8-5 shift and Rick had scheduled himself an MRI. He had been having a harder time finding the right word once in a while and then he felt a loss of peripheral vision on one side, After our trip to Utah and visiting with his family, they too had noticed a loss of memory so Rick just thought maybe it was genetic and as he is getting older it might get worse. He went to the MRI and was still contemplating whether to get it or not but he felt he should.(tender mercy #1) The radiology tech said that they would do it and then he would get the results in the next 2-3 days. After the MRI though, they took him straight back to the radiologist so he knew it was not good. He has quite a large tumor on his occipital lope. I came home at 5 from the hospital to the news that just was surreal. I felt I couldn't process it or breath. I told him I didn't want to see the scan. Right after he tells me this, President Stevens calls, our EQ president. This is not a common occurrence and he starts talking to Rick. Rick was totally normal in tone and seemed upbeat but President Stevens asked him 3 separate times during the conversation if there was anything he could do for him. Rick repeatedly said no, that we were fine. After he hung up, I told him that the Lord was letting him know that we did need help. Rick called him back and asked him to come over with Dee and give him a blessing. I was not doing good at this point and they asked if I would like a blessing too and I did. (tender mercy #2) Tuesday night was rough. None of us could sleep, Blake was a wreck and so we all took Wednesday off to be together. Thursday Rick and I met with the neuro oncologist. He was shocked that Rick has no symptoms other than the occasional word loss and vision. Both the oncologist and the surgeon wanted to know why he ordered the MRI because he has no records on file with any doctor and to just go and order an MRI is not ordinary, Rick being prompted by the spirit is our answer. Both doctors feel that it is a slow growing tumor that will respond well to treatment. They cannot say for certain until they get it out and do pathology, but hearing their positivity was so comforting. Thursday morning I met Ginger at the gym before we had the oncology appointment. Exercise is a stress relief for me and as I walked in, a christmas song was playing. I couldn't believe it. It was just the one and then it went back to normal gym music, but I stood there and felt a closeness to heaven. My Heavenly Father did that for me! (tender mercy #3)
This weekend is our stake conference and so we have Elder Cornish in town. He and President Williams met with Rick and I this morning and visited us and gave us great counsel. President Williams said that as he has been praying and fasting for us, he said he felt it appropriate to ask for complete healing. Elder Cornish and Rick had some things in common. He is a physician and was a mission president in the Dominican. He lost his sweet wife a year ago to bladder cancer. He was so sweet and tender and gave us a beautiful prayer of strength and that our kids would be strengthened too. The feeling was indescribable and such peace.(tender mercy 4) We then went to the baptism of Candace Olsen. Rick was conducting and we opened with Peace in Christ.(tender mercy 5) Those words settled over me and I knew of their truthfulness.
There is peace in Christ
When we learn of him
Feel the love he felt for us
When he bore our sins
Listen to his words
Let them come alive
If we know him as he is
There is peace in Christ.
He gives us hope
When hope is gone
He gives us strength
When we can't go on
He gives us shelter
From the storms of life
When there's no peace on earth
There is peace in Christ
I do not know what the future holds, I do not know how this will play out, but what I do know is that my Savior will be there with us every step and will give my family the strength to endure this challenge. I told Rick today that I felt that I could see the scan and not feel fear or feel defeated and I saw them and I still held onto my peace. Our ward family and our extended families are praying and fasting with us this weekend and Rick and I have already felt the power of those prayers. I told Heavenly Father that I do not want to miss any of his mercies that he sends us during this time and that my eyes will be open to see and recognize them.
This weekend is our stake conference and so we have Elder Cornish in town. He and President Williams met with Rick and I this morning and visited us and gave us great counsel. President Williams said that as he has been praying and fasting for us, he said he felt it appropriate to ask for complete healing. Elder Cornish and Rick had some things in common. He is a physician and was a mission president in the Dominican. He lost his sweet wife a year ago to bladder cancer. He was so sweet and tender and gave us a beautiful prayer of strength and that our kids would be strengthened too. The feeling was indescribable and such peace.(tender mercy 4) We then went to the baptism of Candace Olsen. Rick was conducting and we opened with Peace in Christ.(tender mercy 5) Those words settled over me and I knew of their truthfulness.
There is peace in Christ
When we learn of him
Feel the love he felt for us
When he bore our sins
Listen to his words
Let them come alive
If we know him as he is
There is peace in Christ.
He gives us hope
When hope is gone
He gives us strength
When we can't go on
He gives us shelter
From the storms of life
When there's no peace on earth
There is peace in Christ
I do not know what the future holds, I do not know how this will play out, but what I do know is that my Savior will be there with us every step and will give my family the strength to endure this challenge. I told Rick today that I felt that I could see the scan and not feel fear or feel defeated and I saw them and I still held onto my peace. Our ward family and our extended families are praying and fasting with us this weekend and Rick and I have already felt the power of those prayers. I told Heavenly Father that I do not want to miss any of his mercies that he sends us during this time and that my eyes will be open to see and recognize them.
![]() |
| One of the docs wrote Rick this and made Rick smile. He is not a religious guy! |



Comments