All about a Boy
I don't know if anyone has seen that movie, but there is a part in there when the mother is so out of touch with what her junior high son is exposed to that he is willing to make a fool out of himself to please her by singing. Rick felt that way when he dropped the boys off at the Halloween party. They are 11 and maybe 11 year olds shouldn't dress as raccoons with ears and a fuzzy tail? or star wars?(that costume was cool no matter what age) When the boys got to the party kids were dressed in brains coming from heads, normal clothes with blood splatter, and our boys were nervous to get out of the truck. Blake and Caden are just young, they love star wars and he loves Sly Cooper. I guess they were made fun of. Boys were teasing Caden for dressing up from an E game. (for everyone) and Blake was a nerd for liking Star Wars. Rick was so worried he got them a little early. But despite the teasing the boys had fun. I told them that if they let their choices in life be dictated by what others will think of them, they will never be happy. I said kids that hide or pretend they are too cool for things they secretly like are not strong enough to stand by their convictions. They agreed. It was funny to see peer pressure at work. One kid who plays the game that Blake was from said at first how cool the costume was and that he loved that game. Then another kid started saying that he was a nerd and then they all joined in on that. It so starts at a young age. I am glad my boys still like E games and seriously Star Wars is a classic! It was a good opportunity to teach them to stand up for what they believe in and never give in to peer pressure. I told Blake next time they call him a nerd say "Thanks" nerds make all the money! I told him the minute they see it doesn't affect you the way they want, they move on! Caden even with his little tail behind him won the dance contest (the boy has moves!) and the limbo contest. You can't keep a good raccoon down!


Comments