Fireplace Demo Day 1

The fireplace in my opinion is very ugly.  They just put a row of cheap tiles around it and no mantle.  I told Rick I really needed it fixed with a mantel before Christmas for my stockings to hang by the chimney with care.  We bought the brick last week and he started the demo today.

Of course, as most things go it was harder than expected.  The tiles would not pop off even after he used the little saw to go around the grout.  He just had to take them off right with the backerboard attached. 



He installed new flame retardant backer board and did some mudding to smooth it out.  The brick will cover all of that and go almost to the end of both walls. 



This is my inspiration picture.  Our brick has more reds/greys than this one does but this is the design with the mantle I am going for. I will post pics of the finished product when he gets it finished. 


Had Grey yesterday and he was so funny.  We played games a lot and he got out his telescope to check out the night sky.  I woke up at 6 to work on his lunch box and was going to get him up at 6;15. I came around the kitchen and he jumped out at me and yelled boo.  I about had a heart attack.  I told him I am too old for him to do that to and what if I just dropped dead and he had to call 911 and he said he wouldn't call!  I am not in safe hands:).  I then went and visited Janessa who is young mom of four kids ranging 6-6 months.  Her husband is a traveling nurse and is gone 7 days and then home 7 days but he just signed a contract to be in Vermont for 6 months.  Rick and I are her ministering couple and then she has five great ladies in her pod that all really help.  We help with the littles on Sunday when he is not there.  Rick did a house all Tuesday since the baby was running a fever.  She had a double ear infection.  Thankfully her parents and two single sisters live close by and her parents come over at night to help with bath and bedtime.  We had a good visit and I discovered why her husband cannot seem to get a job here. Rick was like we have a nursing shortage so it made no sense but we found out he does not have his BSN. just RN and Texas makes you have your bachelors degree. Traveling nurses are much more loose with that and they pay really good. She is hoping that he will get hit Bachelors on line while he is away or at least get a good start on it these next few months. Then I went and had lunch with Yvonne. They moved into our ward a few months ago and she is in my pod but she is an accountant and super busy wo we have had a hard time connecting. She was so fun and I love to hear peoples stories. We only had a hour because she had a meeting at one and we could have visited or a lot longer!  


Comments

Popular Posts