Stake conference Weekend

 Yesterday I had to be at the stake center at 3:45 for leadership training and then the adult session started at seven so I got home around nine. Rick missed the adult session because he had Grey. I really liked our visiting authority. He's from Houston and he is a lawyer and  sounds like he works for religious freedoms. He was talking about how he and his team were in front of the Supreme Court justices recently and it was pretty inspiring to be in front of them with all the power that they hold. But he said that when he was called to this calling and was in  the presence of the apostles and prophets, he said there was no comparison with the power you felt from those men.  He spoke three different times and I really liked his messages and just his whole spirit about him. I will put the highlights!

Grey has been with us for 12 days and he will spend the entire day tomorrow and his mom will pick him up Tuesday. He can be a little difficult to manage sometimes and today he did not want to wear the outfit I picked out for him. It was totally comfortable and casual was a nice little V-neck T-shirt with linen shorts. He came out with a long sleeved under Armour Sports shirt and these super long sports pants that were dragging the ground. He then paired that with some bright blue sneakers, and so he looked quite a sight. I asked him several times if he would put on the other outfit since Caden and I were dressed nice but he refused. I found myself walking into my closet, saying a quick prayer that I would just be calm and not lose my patience and be able to feel the spirit in the meetings today and to realize it didn't matter. So off we went. The first song we sang was I will walk with Jesus and that song gets me every time so I'm singing it and crying . Grey did good for two hours sitting in hard chairs, even though we got there 30 minutes early all the soft chairs were taken.  

Highlights- 

Brother Ellis mentioned that two prophets three different times recently talked about the importance of being a peacemaker.  He said when a prophet mentions something more than once we need to take notice.  He shared a quote from then Elder Oaks in 1987 "Those who govern their thoughts and actions solely by the principles of liberalism or conservatism or intellectualism cannot be expected to agree with all of the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. As for me, I find some wisdom in liberalism, some wisdom in conservatism, and much truth in intellectualism --but I find no salvation in any of them."   

He then shared a story that to me speaks volumes more about his father than on forgiveness that he was talking about. He said after Hurricane Harvey (we all went down and mucked out homes) his parents home that was a few houses down from his was destroyed.  His parents were gone serving a mission and so he was in charge of their home.  The helping hands came and gutted in and there was tons of trash and you had to have it so far from he curb so the trucks could come pick it up.  They ran out of room and so he asked his neighbor who also did not have any damage if they could stack some of the trash on his property for pick up.  They had done a lot for this neighbor and the neighbor agreed and showed them where they could put it.  The city was overwhelmed with all the damage and the trash stayed and stayed on their street and was not picked up for weeks.  The neighbor got upset and called the police.  The police came and since his parents were gone, they spoke to him.  He was mad.  He couldn't believe this neighbor would do that after his parents had lost so much.   Aftter assessing the situation the police left without any problems.  He called his dad and was like I cannot believe he did this.  I am so angry.  We put it where he said we could, and it is not our fault the city has not gotten to it yet.  His father, whose house was destroyed, said to his son, you need to apologize to our neighbor.  He could not believe it. His father said obviously he is very upset at the situation.  Brother Ellis wrote a beautiful letter apologizing for the situation.  He said after he gave him that letter and walked away he said a weight lifted off his shoulders he did not know was even there.  He said in my anger, I was blocking the blessings and feeling the spirit and I did not realize until it was lifted.  I just was so impressed with the father and wish so much I was a better parent.  I get riled up if my kids are wronged and instead of diffusing the situation, I add fuel to the fire. 

Brother Ellis last night challenged us to write down our ten top spiritual experiences that we have had with the Lord.  He said if you cannot think of any, then ask the Lord to bring them to your remembrance.  He said we need to share them with our children, grandchildren, friends.  He said we can of course write more than ten but he said you know when you go on vacation and you take a million photos.  Well no one wants to see all of those but if you pick out your favorite ten, they will want to look and take an interest in those.   I am thankful I have kept a journal. When I read over them, there are so many of these experiences that I would have forgotten if they had not been recorded.  I do need to write down my top ten though!  

President Larsen was recently called to the stake presidency after the death of President Hyatt.  He is a bit like Morgan in his love of traveling. He said the world is not right unless I have a trip planned.  He said in Turkey they treat guests so special.  He said in the airport there was a big sign that said "Guests are a gift from God". He challenged us to treat those we come in contact with and especially our ward families like this.  Look for those that need love, invite them to sit with you, over to dinner, etc.  He said that often in the scriptures connection was made over and around a table.  I love this.  We had invited a couple in our ward to dinner and it was so fun and we learned so much about each other.  Now Scott and Rick sit by each other in EQ and it was a simple thing to do.  

Ivy and Emmie

Ivy has been sick with a tummy bug so she has not been able to play for a couple days.  Emmie is her back yard neighbor and she will scale the fence and play all day with Ivy.  Her mom will not allow her to go in the house but can play outside.  They have the best time and Ivy is loving her summer friend. 

Comments

bethouhumble said…
We had stake conference too so I missed it! I loved your recap. I need to think of my top 10 and I loved "guests are a gift from God"

Popular Posts