Released
After 6 1/2 years, Rick was released as the bishop of the Serenada Ward. He shared his testimony with the ward and it was very powerful. The stake president told him during his last PPI that sometimes it takes a while to find the next bishop but he said they all knew it was to be him right from the start. Also President Williams said when he was extending the release that Rick served six 1/2 years and that was the Lord's will. He received so many texts and messages thanking him for his service and how much he had impacted them. One of the priests came running up right after the closing prayer to express his appreciation for him. One member sent a beautiful message that I wanted to save. From Sister Nancy Sigerson: Hi Rick, (I can almost not make myself type that!). Well, we knew this day would happen sometime, but we were just hoping not today. I just wanted to tell you that you made such a huge difference in our lives over the past almost 6 years that we have been here in Georgetown. I will never forget the night you showed up at the ER in Round Rock in the middle of the night, after just barely getting back from your sister’s funeral. Thinking about it right now brings tears to my eyes. You were our bishop at what has undoubtedly been and is one of the most challenging and vulnerable times of our lives. I can’t even remember how many times I called you in a semi-panic or just needing to vent as we navigated a medical world of which we virtually nothing. And even as much as we have learned, it is still often foreign and somewhat frightening at times. You definitely helped us through a great deal of that and were always so encouraging and helpful. Thank you seems inadequate but thank you! You are truly kindness and charity personified. We have prayed for you every single day since we found out about your cancer and we will not stop just because you got released today. We hope to keep you around for a very long time. One of the things I appreciate about you most in your official role as bishop was when you gave talks. They were unfailingly relevant, helpful, hopeful, and “real”. I appreciate the vulnerability you often displayed as you talked - I especially remember when you talked about your dad. Our then drug-addicted-daughter was staying with us for a couple of months when you gave that talk and I went home and shared your message with her. I think I mentioned to you that same day that a loved one’s suicide is something that, unfortunately, is an experience I have had way too often. We recently lost a good friend to suicide and my mind immediately went back to some of the things you said that day. It will be hard for you to ever know or understand the impact for good that you have had in the lives of so many people but those who were impacted will always know and so does the Lord. We have had many bishops over the years and with all of our moves. With a few possible exceptions, all were exceptionally good and kind men. We will admit, however, to having some favorites and you happen to be at the top of the list. We love you and hope that the future holds all good things for you and Elena!
Then from Sherri Martin: Oh my goodness I was afraid this was going to happen! I wanted him to marry me and George! Your husband has been such an amazing and insightful and inspiring bishop. My favorite! Please let him know how much I appreciate all the things he has done for our ward for so long!
Anyway the messages have continued Monday and Tuesday and people that have moved away sent messages. I guess the grapvine travels quick. You never know how you do in a calling and always think you could have done better, but I know he did make a difference for a lot of people and the biggest difference in himself! I know he will feel the void of that mantel and special connection you have with heaven and the ward members, but Bishop Hunsaker will do an amazing job and is so excited about it!
So now that we are 50 we are having to do the medical screenings. Rick had his colonoscopy yesterday and I will get to look forward to that next month. It went ok. We were there at 9 and then driving home by 11:30. We picked up Grey since Kayla wasn't feeling good and so I have him until some point today and then I think I get him back Thursday and Friday. He woke up at 4:45 am and has been going strong since. He has gone swimming twice this morning and finally just crashed. Thank goodness!












Comments