Rick was called by our local paper to do an interview about the church and his new role. The article is pretty funny and the guy didn't get some info right. Like he starts out saying one of the newest members is the new Bishop. No idea where he got that. He also asked Rick what he did for a living and then he proceeded to put Bishop Dr. Richard Daniels, throughout the article which Rick was not thrilled with. But it did tell a bit about our church and where we meet and an invitation to join us. Rick also gave the reporter a Book of Mormon. Rick has been doing such a good job and goes out to visit members whenever he can. Last night, he went to visit the family of the boy that commited suicide last September. The mom's name came to him strongly and he wasn't sure about it, but he prayed for confirmation and he was meant to go visit her. The mom has been anti the church for some time and the husband blames her for the son's death because of the conflict. They were married in the temple and a few years later she was given some anti mormon stuff and let it get to her. Her parents are in our ward and strong members. The dad wasn't home but the mom and kids were. She invited him in and they had a nice visit. She shared some of the challenges and Rick asked her if she believed in God and where was her testimony. She said that she frankly didn't care any more. Rick had some impressions that he will proceed with. He then went to see a lady that has been here for over a year but has never come. She was very nice to him and they had a nice visit on her porch. He invited her to come to church. She is very educated and her hang up is she just doesn't get the temple ceremony. She has been a member since 2010 and I guess the temple has been a challenge for her. I was told on Sunday by our patriarchs wife that she has loved seeing Rick since he has been given this calling. She said his face is so full of love and kindness. I know that he is sure trying to do what the Lord would have him do and he worries constantly about the members in our ward. I have to keep reminding him that he can only do what he can but ultimately it is their choice to be converted or not.
Wednesday for my Young Women we did a resurrection Easter hunt. I went earlier during the week and took abstract pictures around the church building. Once I had them developed I went back and hid the eggs and clues. When the girls found one, we would open it and look at the item and then read the scriptures that went with it. We then talked about application to our life and then they moved on. We ended in the kitchen for Easter cake balls( one package of white oreo cookies and one 8 oz cream cheese after you mix those you freeze them for 30 minutes before putting them in your white melted chocolate) and Easter muddy buddies. The girls seemed to enjoy it. They have been picking the activities and this was their idea. Last night the said they want to go paint balling. I have enough stuff for six girls and we have our land that we can do it on, so I told them we could certainly do it. I just need to find a gospel principle to tie it into. Armor of God seems fitting. I am sure I can find a personal progress to go with it too. I have enjoyed these girls. Rick was mentioning that it will be hard for the young womens' pres to continue when her son leaves on his mission. Both she and her husband have to go to the early meetings and soon they won't have anyone to leave the little ones with. I reminded him that in Louisiana I dragged all four kids with me to my meetings because he was gone so much. They boys were only two so it can be done but it is hard. He might make a change if it is too hard on the family. She has served for two years, so if that happens I might not be with these girlies long.


Comments