Fasting Miracles and Lessons from a Goat Farm
So Saturday I had my first pack meeting with my new calling. We were meeting at a member's goat farm and making bottle rockets. I got some good pics but I had to get a new phone and I need Rick to get me a cord to my computer to upload them. These little boys were full of life and had a great time. This farm had animals just running amuck. They had chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, and lots of goats. One momma goat is not a good momma. She just had little twin girls and one is half the size of the other. While the good mommas stay with their babies around the farm yard, this mom abandons her babies everyday after she feeds them in the morning. She heads off with the other goats that do not have babies to tend to. This was so heartbreaking. These little babies were scared when all of us showed up. The kids all wanted to hold them and of course the boys were all very active. They would bleat and bleat and run and hide. The littlest one would go to her bigger sister so hide under. They had no mom to run to while the other babies' moms kept them close and didn't let the kids get to them. An older teen girl, picked up the runt and held her and kind of rocked her. She calmed down and enjoyed just being cuddled. The mom came strolling in around 5 because she was needing to be relieved of her milk at this point. They ran to her. I was so mad at that goat. I couldn't believe how selfish she was. She left them completely defenseless. I have a quote from CS Lewis on my wall that says "Children are not a distraction from more important work, they are the most important work." I have thought a lot about that and whether I let other things distract me from my boys. In my religion class we have to have a social media fast for two weeks, so no facebook, no instragram, we need to be mindful of what we read and what we listen to and how much TV we watch. I think this will be a great experiment for me. I do not want to be that momma goat and let these two boys fall through the cracks. I know they do not want me to be with them all the time, but when they need me they need and are entitled to my full attention. I was fasting today with a specific purpose regarding how to handle something with Blake. I was pondering and praying about it and while I was getting ready for church a way to approach it came to my mind. I thought "that was brilliant" and then quickly realized that the Lord had poured that wisdom in my mind because of my fast. I know that fasting has power. I still hadn't put the approach into action, but I wanted to right before I ended my fast. I had faith that it would work. I called him into my room and started with what had been given me. The whole conversation went beautifully and he handled everything amazingly well. This was a miracle. I am just so grateful to know that my Heavenly Father has not left me alone to navigate this difficult task of being a parent. He wants me to be the best that I can be for my children. He knows them, he loves them, and he wants them to succeed even more than I could. I am sometimes, actually often at a loss as to the best way to handle certain situations but when I seek his help, he always makes me more than I could ever on my own.


Comments