School is Exciting/Challenging/Exhausting/Reaffirming


“I know it is hard for you young mothers to believe that almost before you can turn around the children will be gone and you will be alone with your husband. You had better be sure you are developing the kind of love and friendship that will be delightful and enduring. Let the children learn from your attitude that he is important. Encourage him. Be kind. It is a rough world, and he, like everyone else, is fighting to survive. Be cheerful. Don't be a whiner.”
Marjorie Pay Hinckley, Small and Simple Things
 
“As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.”
Marjorie Pay Hinckley
  
 
BE BRILLIANT IN THE BASICS -JULIE BECK
 
"There is a sentiment among many in the world that we are the spirit creations of God, just as a building is the creation of its architect or a painting the creation of its painter or an invention the creation of its inventor. The scriptures teach, however, a much different doctrine. They teach that we are more than creations of God; they teach that we are the literal spirit offspring or children of God our Father.1 What difference does this doctrinal distinction make? The difference is monumental in its consequence because our identity determines in large measure our destiny. For example, can a mere creation ever become like its creator? Can a building ever become an architect? A painting a painter? Or an invention an inventor? If not, then those who believe we are creations of God, rather than His spirit offspring, reach the inevitable conclusion that we do not have the capacity to become like our creator, God. In essence, their doctrine of identity has defined and dictated a diminished destiny." -Elder Callister 
 
So I am in week two of my semester and I have been literally a deer in a headlight.  My problems in math have been like Juan is decorating for a party in a room that has teen large cylindrical posts.  The posts are 8 feet high and have a circumference of 6 feet.  His plan is to wrap eight turns of ribbon around each posts.  How much ribbon does Juan need?  
And they get worse from there.  The class is math for the real world, but in my real world I have decorated columns before and just wrapped until I either ran out and creatively managed or I had too much.  Both work in my opinion but apparently I need to be exact and this is crucial to my life.  The above problem applies the pythagorean theorem.  Yep that is what I said.  In the recess of my mind and I am talking really recessed that term sounded familiar but I had not idea what it meant or how to apply it to my decorating crisis of ribbon.  So thankfully I have a tutor and he only charges me hugs and kisses and so I come out way on top in that deal.  He is so patient with me!   I got excited today because things started to make a little bit sense.  I am not going to celebrate because we move on to new things very quickly.  My medical terminology class is challenging and seems way more invovled than a 2 credit course should be.  There is so much memorization and since I don't speak spanish I don't have the help of knowing latin based roots. :) 
 
The saving grace is my religion class where I am reading awesome articles on the family and just great doctrine,  Above are a few of my favorite quotes from this week.  Anyway here I go off to brush away more cobwebs from my brain that has seriously been tested and I am sure is trying to figure out what happened to the easy going life we once had together!

Comments

Be Thou Humble said…
Looks those quotes and feel your pain! I don't think I could do math now....for the real world or not! Jodi Poston (do you know her from my ward) just started and is doing hospital administration as well. She originally signed up for 16 credits but another friend talked her into doing less. I saw her the other day and she said her eyes were trying to adjust from staring at a computer screen all day! I want to take classes again when Annaka is in school but I think I'll do one class at a time and probably all religion or family classes! No math in my future!!
Daniels Six said…
Her name sounds familiar! She would be crazy to do 16! I only have 8 and I feel like I never have enough time. Taking classes for fun would be the best because you choose what appeals to you. There are a ton of fascinating classes

Popular Posts