Christy Jo







 Christy died at the age of 39.  When we moved into the ward she and her boyfriend Leo taught Lexi in Primary.  She was 18 at the time.  Leo was not a member and when they got married, they wanted Lexi to be a flower girl.  Lexi did not want to do it because it meant getting her hair done and wearing a fancy dress.  They bribed her with a toy and took her to dinner and made over her.  She survived the day!  Leo and Christy's marriage did not last long and she remarried and she had one son. He just turned 16!  She died of a massive heart attack and so shocking since she was so young.  She had some pains for over a day but did not think heart attack. Her mom finally made her go in but the damage to her heart by that time was extensive.  They operated and after she was sitting up in her bed and talking to her mom when she just collapsed.  She had another attack and they could not bring her back from that one.  Friday, Rick and I went to the viewing.  I was Connie (mom) and Courtney's visiting teacher when I lived in Temple.  Courtney was our babysitter when we lived there.  I made a pasta salad to take to the luncheon on Saturday.  Went to the funeral where Paul was officiating.  Christy and her new husband were not active and he was not a member.  The funeral was held in the funeral home and it was standing room only.  There were cowboys, bikers and just a lot of people from different backgrounds.  Paul was the perfect guy to be able to share a powerful message that they all could relate to.  He centered his remarks around the Savior and families are forever because of Him.  The ladies that Paul works with were amazed that he was doing this.  They said our preacher has a doctorate and trained in this type of thing.  They know Paul just was called to this and they asked Ginger how could he do a funeral!  She replied, he will rely on the Spirit! They are all First Baptist and have not been fans of "mormons' but after knowing Paul and then finding out other people they respect are also members, they are softening up and their perceptions are changing. Another thing I thought was pretty awesome was talking with Connie's younger sister who lost her husband five years ago.  They have younger kids and it was so hard for her.  She was not happy with God and stopped coming to church. She told her husband before he died he needed to come back and let her know that he was Ok and she needed to know why this had to happen.  She said he never has and he always did what he would say he would do.  But she said as she listened to Paul's remarks she felt that she needed to come back.  I hope she does and finds the peace that she is searching for.  I am sure it was her husband sending her that little nudge. yesterday as he is cheering her on from heaven side.  

 After, Ginger and I headed to the church building to set up for the luncheon.  Brendee came to help clean up so we had a great time visiting and catching up.  Her son Blake was married in March and I had not heard that!  


Comments

bethouhumble said…
Lexi looks pained! What a story! Was she taller than her first husband? I wasn't quite sure with that picture. Sounds like Paul is doing a great job and connecting with the people. I hadn't heard that about Blake either. Glad you were able to reconnect with Brendee.

Popular Posts